(hmm, I see it's April 1st today, but this is not a joke, just a serious
post...)

In April 14th, in Tel Aviv (Google's building), Avi Kivity - of KVM and
OSv fame - will present "Seastar", a new C++-based framework for writing
super-efficient but highly complex and asynchronous server applications.

Seastar is an open source (http://www.seastar-project.org/) library.
It is based on the concept of "futures" (like in Node.js, just implemented
in a much more efficient way). Part of the talk will also introduce futures,
how Seastar implements them in C++, and how much C++ has changed in recent
years from what you may remember about it. Surprisingly to some, C++
focus has shifted in recent years from classic "object oriented"
programming with its familiar runtime overheads, to other paradigms
(such as template-based "generic programming") which emphasise
sophisticated compile-time processing with zero runtime overhead,
allowing us to write complex code which still performs like
hand-crafted assembly code.

For more information about the meetup (please register if you intend to
come - it's free, but I guess space is limited):

http://www.meetup.com/saylambda/events/221522808/

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Wednesday, Apr 1 2015, 12 Nisan 5775