Hello Lior,
Thanks for the pointer.

The culprit was the install-info --remove command in the
octave3.0-info.prerm script.
This command appears also in other *.prerm scripts, but in the other
scripts, it was commented out and had an absolute path as the filename.
The path started with /usr/info, a directory which does not exist in my
system.

I commented out the install-info --remove command and re-ran aptitude.
This time, octave3.0-info was removed and dpkg was upgraded.

--- Omer

--
What happens if one mixes together evolution with time travel to the
past?  See: http://www.zak.co.il/a/stuff/opinions/eng/evol_tm.html

I may be affiliated in any way.