Since it would be cool to be able to hold a Wikipedia snapshot on my PC
for offline access in case of need[1], I looked into kiwix.

Turns out that kiwix is unavailable for Debian Jessie (the distribution
that I am currently using). This is because the package was removed[2] a
year ago. The cause for removal is removal of xulrunner from Debian.

I tried to google for information about xulrunner removal, but found
nothing relevant. There are 3 bugs[3] in Debian bugs database, but no
one of them mentioned removal of xulrunner.

Is there anyone who knows more about the Debian xulrunner issues and can
shed more light on the matter?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download
[2]
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-edu-pkg-team/Week-of-Mon-20140922/000720.html
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=xulrunner

--- Omer

--
One cannot argue with a Bayesian filter.       Peter Lorand Peres

I may be affiliated in any way.