Hi All,

I provide Computer Services to home and small businesses in Haifa.

I try to use FLOSS-based solutions as much as possible. Since the outbreak
of the "Windows 8.0" virus [1] I have managed to move about 20-30 computers
to the Ubuntu Linux distro - and they thank me almost every day since...

Funny enough, after they've been using Ubuntu for a few weeks, they tell me
they have re-discovered their computer and are able to do a lot more with
it than before!

The number one reason for them to finally give up on Windows and make the
switch is financial: most of them prefer to pay me 200 NIS for me to
install Ubuntu [2], instead of buying a brand new computer...

The most popular concern before making the switch is available support:
"what if you are no longer available for some reason? Who do I turn to for
help? Nobody knows this Linux thing..." - they say...

I try to explain it is not true. "First of all, I'm not going anywhere", I
say. "and there are millions of people in the world, thousands of them in
Israel, that are willing to help"...

They, naturally, ask for proof!

I thought we, Linuxers of Israel, could start a *Directory for Linux Savvy
Service Providers in Israel*. A much better version of the poorly
maintained version on the Hamakor Wiki.

This Directory should be very accessible for the average Joe, easy on the
eyes and searchable - by field of expertise, Location etc.

I am willing to help with populating the DB, but I'd need someone to start
the Site. It should have an easy to remember URL, so I can refer people to
it directly (they shouldn't have to dig a bunch of sub-menus to get there).
It should have it's own URL, (maybe under www.linux.org.il?) and, of
course, in Hebrew.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Amichai Rotman

[1] ;-)
[2]  I know it sound very low price, but it is hardly any work for me, and
I include Data Backup and a basic explanation on the system! I can finish
the whole thing in 3 hours!