On 08/01/2021 10:39, Omer Zak wrote:
I am one of the holdouts who still use FAX technology.
My printer was of the type which combines printing + scanning + FAX. A
week ago it died, and I looked for a new printer with the same
combination of features.
Turned out that there is a shortage of
printers, so I bought a printer with scanner but without FAX.

And now I am looking for a solution to continue to receive FAX messages
on my landline phone line.

The software of yore should still work. The tricky part is getting the correct hardware and drivers.

I quick search found several USB modems sold today, but most only list Windows as their compatibility, and it's impossible to know whether that means they are WinModems (zero nostalgia) or just lazy.

I did, however, find this:

https://www.amazon.com/V-TOP-External-V-92-Modem-Cable/dp/B00XW5QYWS/ref=psdc_284715_t4_B07H3Q74L8

It lists Mac in it's title, but the actual text also explicitly lists Linux as a supported platform. It might, theoretically, still be a WinModem with (proprietary) drivers, but considering the cost of hardware (a 56Kbps modem can _easily_ be created with a 5$ micrcontroller/dsp/FPGA), I find it more likely that this is a full fledged hardware modem.

With that in mind, I recently bought a Canon integrated printer, and it came with fax capabilities. I'm just about to cancel my "land line", so this feature is increasingly becoming useless for me, personally, but know that it's still out there.

Shachar