Thus spake Sthitaprajna:

>1)which app,
>2)where to find it and
>3)how to configure it??

Your linux box has apps like trn, slrn etc.  In fact, PINE is a pretty
good newsreader.

>Also, since my ISP does not have a news server, I have to use a public domain
>news server that is efficient but not necessarily fast...any workarounds?? BTW
>my ISP is Satyam

Then you are jacked.  Two months ago, Satyam was placed under a UDP
(usenet death penalty) due to persistent and unchecked usenet spam
originating from their ip space (by a hacker called HipCrime) since 1997.

These attacks have crashed the rtfm.mit.edu server and trashed several
newsgroups more than once, so all posts from satyam ip space were blocked.

The UDP was lifted only after satyam blocked outgoing port 119 (NNTP) at
their border routers and promised to deploy their own usenet server, and
to allow access only through that.

This means that till satyam sets up their own usenet server, you can't use
a newsreader to access your news (even using a 3rd party news
server).  Only alternative - a web based service like deja.com or
mailandnews.com

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | [EMAIL PROTECTED]