Hi,

> >   Does RH 6.1 Linux come with inbuilt antivirus package.  Since, I am
> > using internet (via proxy) on my Linux system, I am afraid that my
> > system may get infected.  Please advise me on the issue.
>
> Rest assured, my employer's Linux server works without any shield and it
> is also an internet server. To tension mat lo.

        Agreed, but I would like to add only one *very* important point.
***NEVER*** ever use the root account for normal usage. In particular,
*never* read mails or browse the net while you are logged in as root. And
yes, have a look at your /etc/aliases, and make sure that there is an
alias for root, and that it points to the person who is acting as the
administrator for the box. In essence make sure you have a line like this

root:   <your_login_id>

        in your /etc/aliases. If not, add it, and then run newaliases, so
that you will keep getting any mail sent to root - locally by cron jobs
and from outside (which may or may not be malicious).
        As of now I am not aware of any way in which reading mail as root
or browsing net as root can be exploited (although there may be some
hidden exploits in netscape - you never know, its closed source afterall).
So its not that doing these things would get you in trouble, but having
good habits would go a long way in keeping the script kiddies out.

        Regards,
        Kedar.

LIH is all for free speech.  But it was created for a purpose - to help
people discuss issues about installing and running Linux.  If your
messages are counterproductive to this purpose, your privileges to
submit messages can and will be revoked.