Hi guys! I have the (in)famous YMF724. What some ppl.
refer as the Mercury 32-bit PCI sound
card. I've got the docs for it from Yamaha, tho only
to simulate the 8-Bit Sound Blaster
mode. They've taken the docs off the site now. Its
just a matter of manipulating a small PCI
register. So it wasn't much of a job. I wrote the
module, cuz the card has EXCELLENT sound
in doze. Yamaha refused to give me the specs for the
PCI registers. They told me that i had
to sign an NDA, which i am against, in the spirit of
Open Source. However, i managed to find
a DOS program, from Yamaha, which plays 16-bit sound
in DOS, w/o ANY drivers. That means its
doing all the dirty work itself. I tried reverse
engineering it, but all i manage to do is
hang my system, while using multiple monitors to debug
the silly thing. The program is a
DOS4GW pmode exe, which makes it even more difficult
to reverse engineer and make out the
Assembly, even if i'm using a pmode debugger, on my
second screen. I haven't yet tried
debugging thru the serial port, but i think thats my
next move, as i have some doubt that
the changing of the active screen maybe causing some
conflict. I need some DOS PCI
programming pointers. I am pretty comfy with DPMI, but
i've never done PCI stuff, in DOS.
ISA is fine with me, but PCI... noooo! If someone can
help me out in this aspect, i'd be
grateful, so that i can write the driver and do
something for the linux community something
in return fer all its given me. thanx.

Nikhil.
ILUG-HYD.