Nick Hill wrote:

> AFAIK, the identd server doesn't do the lookups.

identd uses the local resolver (/lib/libresolv.so?) to do the lookup.
That was a slip.

        <---------updated--------->
Every time a host tries to use the services provided
by the Linux server like telnet or FTP, the Linux
server tries to look up the name of the user who wants
to use the service. This lookup is done by the identd
protocol server running on the Linux machine using the
local resolver.
        </---------updated--------->

> The CLIENT has to be running a server on port 113 (IIRC).

But i have not seen other OS's (like win) listening on port 113.

> The identd server is for the client to identify itself
> to the server.

<man identd>
identd  operates by looking up specific TCP/IP connections
and returning the user name of the process owning the con­
nection.   It  can  optionally  return  other  information
instead of a user name.
</man identd>

I thought authentication was more relevant from the servers point of
view than the connecting clients.

AFAIK, to get the user name of the connecting user, identd must be
running on both on the client's side as well as on the server's side.

> The ftp or telnet client does checks the ident.
> The linux machine DOESN't have to be running a identd server.

I didn't quite get that point. You mean to say that ftp/telnet
will identify the user internally w/o identd running on the server.

> of course the telnet and ftp daemons, do a DNS lookup for
> themselves, to display the hostname+domain at the prompt.

Yes, but the problem here is that on a local network, where there are
no entries for the hosts in either the hosts table or via a local DNS
server, you face a delay of under a minute.

> Please enlighten me on this if i am found wrong. thanx.

Hey Nick, now i am confused too. What is the point that you are
trying to raise?

--Shanu

LIH is all for free speech.  But it was created for a purpose - to help
people discuss issues about installing and running Linux.  If your
messages are counterproductive to this purpose, your privileges to
submit messages can and will be revoked.