aravindan wrote:

> I Still couldn't get sound to work
> I have the same AC'97 card in mine too.
> Please if anyone knows to configure it.....say me and also pls say the steps
> in detail as I'm a newbie  to Linux and not a Linux Guru.

Edit the file /etc/conf.modules with a text editor and add:
        alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio

> I heard ALSA drivers - what are they? How do i install them?

The first line loads the OSS version of the sound driver - which was
only
lately introduced for i810 (only from kernel 2.2.16). So they are yet to
give
best results.  Alsa drivers are substitute drivers for the kernel
drivers, they
currently produce better quality sound.
They should be downloaded from www.alsa-project.org and then installed
for the
card you use. Please remember to incl. the lines given in the how-to for
i810 in your /etc/conf.modules, in case locating these lines is a
problem, this is what i have in mine for ac 97 with alsa:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-intel8x0
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
# OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd-card-intel8x0 snd_pbk_frame_size=128
options snd-card-intel8x0 snd_cap_frame_size=128
options snd-card-intel8x0 snd_mic_frame_size=128

Please read Shanu's howto on sound, which really helped me (as a newbie)
configure:

http://www.exocore.com/linux/i810/

HTH, good luck

Ashwin
On i810 with X and Ac 97 sound thanks to Shanu (& kernel 2.2.16!)