Indraneel Majumdar on Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 04:45:08PM -0700 rearranged
electrons thusly:

> mutt for irix? no,no I want the colors over telnet even if the program at
> the other end doesn't support them. Like this:

sorry buddy - even mutt, if not compiled with support for colors (+HAVE-COLOR)
will not display colors even when viewed with a color aware telnet app like
teraterm.

so compile pine 4.10 or 4.21 on that box - and get the color pinerc at
http://www.dotfiles.com - or just install mutt.

> just upgrading the pine on Irix would be easier, probably, but what if one
> does not have access to one's irix mailserver (which may not always run
> pop and accept relay-domains)?

ask your admin to set up a .forward to forward all messages to your suse box?

> (I know I'm asking for something stupid, but what if I can't upgrade the
> pine on the mailserver, nor modify the sendmail or install pop?)

no need to modify sendmail - sendmail will relay for anything in its local ip
block - 192.168.1./24 - by default I expect.

-suresh