Hi

lilo.conf is a configuration file for LILO (LInux LOader), which is
basically a boot manager for booting the OS of your choice (mmm.. Linux, I
mean !).  U need to run lilo after you've compiled a kernel so that next
time you switch on your machine, the new kernel is booted.

For running lilo, ensure that the lilo.conf is in proper location
(normally /etc/lilo.conf) & simply type the command lilo & that should
do.

As for the module errors, have you run
make modules
make modules_install

during the compilation of the kernel ? Ensure that you do this.

Sreeji