> Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:22:35 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sundar Narayanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LI] Information on security desired...
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> There is a small escape route to this.
> If you have multiple operating systems on your
> machine ... Say for instance Win95 & Linux
> Say, you also have LILO..

You do not require multipule OS to have Lilo, I am sorry but, I  do not know how
are you relating Multipule OS, LILO and Linix Single

Linux single is a run level

Lilo ia the linux loader, that can load Linux or other OS or diff versions of
kernels. Infact I have my system that is three diff kernel booting, with what I
type at lilo, and I do not have any other OS on that.

Thanks
-Chetan S

> At the LILO prompt, type "Linux single".
> The system goes into single user mode without
> a password. There is no need to use a floppy
> in this case
>
> Hence it would be advisable if u keep a small
> dos partition with DOS on it aside, so that
> you can force LILO to come into play, which is
> useful in such situations.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Regards,
> Sundar.
>

> --- "Kishore C. Pattnaik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > Just out of curiosity, Will you not be able to add
> > the root account again
> > > using single user mode?
> >
> > I don't think system 'll allow U even to login in
> > Single user mode if "ROOT"
> > user doesn't exist. If U "EVER" by chance happen to
> > lose "ROOT" from
> > /etc/passwd, solution is boot system from recovery
> > floppy which you have
> > created during linux installation, mount the actual
> > root partition ( /dev/hda1
> > or something on ur system ) on /mnt. Edit
> > "/mnt/etc/passwd" to add root user
> > information and restart the system. The same thing
> > works if U accidentally
> > remove /etc/passwd and don't have any backup for it.
> >
> > This is one way out there may be others as well.
> > Please correct me if above
> > info is incorrect.
> >
> > Cheers ... !!!
> >
> > Kishore,