Arun Sharma wrote:

> This doesn't seem to be an easy one - unless Linux can learn to coexist
> with commercial software. The technology is controlled by the movie
> and the media industry. Their livelihood depends on being able to sell
> content in a controlled way - very similar to the way Bill Gates sells
> software for money - also something that is opposed tooth and nail by
> the GNU project.

        There is always a hurdle somewhere :-( The only quality mpeg movie
player i know is at mpegtv.org. Perhaps they will come out with one for
mpeg2 also. The price they are charging ($10???) is very reasonable and
affordable to us students.

> I sincerely hope, the saner heads will prevail in the end. Otherwise,
> you end up having to pay the "Linux penalty" - sort of punishment for
> having chosen to run Linux -  Winmodems, Yamaha sound cards and
> DVD players are just the tip of the iceberg.

        I hope so too! But the future definitely looks promising. Take SGI for
instance, opening up GL and XFS. GL on linux looked so distant in the
past but now, it's right out there in the garden waiting to be plucked.

        Thanx Arun for sharing your thoughts.

-- Shanu