Hi there,
I think I have some solution for you cos I faced the same problem myself.
Most likely "ifconfig" is not working properly cos linux is not detedting
your ethernet card so to make your Linux box see the card -type following at
the lilo prompt when you are booting
"lilo :linux ether=10,0x300,eth0" -remember no gaps in the
"ether=10,0x300,eth0".
this means that you are telling your linux system that there is a ethernet
card on IRQ 10 with a base address 0x300 and this interface is to reffered
as eth0 by the system.This will detect your card -then do "ifconfig eth0
<your IP address> netmask <your netmask> up". then do "route add -net <your
network address> netmask <your netmask address> eth0". That's it & your
ethernet card should be functional.
However you can add these two lines in the "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" :
" route add blah blah" & "ifconfig blah blah". This will do the rest for you
every time your boot your linux system. All above settings are typical &
should work for your network cards otherwise let us know the details of your
network card.
HTH
Pankaj Mathur