On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, thus spake Simanta Handique:

> Fetchmail doesn't seem to work properly. I keep getting synchro errors and
> the fetchmail progarm terminates prematurely. If I have say 15 messages to
> download, there is always a possibility that fetchmail times out by the 10th

errrr....... that just means that your pop server has timed out.  man
fetchmail to adjust the timeout.

> message and I have to start all over again (from message #1, Grrr!). I tried
> the VSNL and the Satyam connections but there isn't much diff so far as this

This is b'cos the messages are deleted ONLY when the QUIT command is
issued by fetchmail at the end of the session.  See the expunge option in
the manpage.

> Is there a good replacement for the fetchmail program ?

Fetchmail is currently the best - and I've not had too many problems.  Or
install qpopper.

> I read some fetchmail documentation somewhere which mentions about some
> TCP/IP related bugs in the new kernel which contributes towards these

Not too bad - but these synch errors can be fixed by adjusting the
timeout.  Try rpmfind for the latest fetchmail rpm though, it's fixed,
iirc.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | [EMAIL PROTECTED]