Charles,

If these are resource records from the master file for your zone, they need
the following corrections :

Resource records are supposed to be of the form
"[name]    [ttl]    address-class   resource-type    resource-data"
Only the [name] and [ttl] are optional. Which means all entries should
have the address class "IN" in them. Ignore this comment if you
stripped it out while including in the message.

> iisim.ac.in   NS     serv.iisim.ac.in.
make the name field as @  - which specifies that you're referring to
the ORIGIN (the value of which is already in your conf file). If you
want to be explicit, add a "." to the name - i.e make it "iisim.ac.in."
else the name is assumed to be relative and your origin will be
appended to it (making it iisim.ac.in.iisim.ac.in. !!)

> iisim.ac.in   SOA    serv.iisim.ac.in.,
>                      administrator.iisim.ac.in.
Same comment as above - also, you can leave the name fields blank when
successive records refer to the same name. And SOA records are
generally followed by a bunch of numbers (Serial,Refresh etc).. I
assume you have these in your file. (Also field separator between the
origin and contact_name fields is normally a space/Tab not a comma)

> iisim.ac.in   MX     (10) lin.iisim.ac.in
Same problem with the name field - also the data should be either
simply "lin" or "lin.iisim.ac.in." (Note the trailing ".")

> iisim.ac.in   MX     (9)  mail.iisim.ac.in
Same as above. Plus you don't have a server called "mail" defined below ???

> lin           A      203.197.150.51
> localhost     A      127.0.0.1
> serv          A      203.197.150.52

These are OK - assuming that your zone name is iisim.ac.in

> of course i have a reverse lookup zone
> 150.197.203.in-addr.arpa

Doesn't help much. Reverse lookup for domains that are small (which
don't consume less than 256 IP addresses) like yours is a contentious
issue anyway (asto who will maintain the records)..

> kindly see if this ok.

As I mentioned before - Read the DNS-HOW-TO. You'll find it in the
/usr/doc/HOWTO/ directory of your linux machine (for a RH installation
- I don't know where other distributions put it)

Also, all the above changes will make only _your_ nameserver function
right. For your domain to be resolvable by the outside world, the
parent nameserver (which services your parent domain "ac.in") should have a
record pointing to your nameserver.

Kala

P.S. Help save bandwidth by not quoting the entire message when
replying to a mail. Quote only the relevant parts.

LI is all for free speech, but this list was created for a purpose --
to help popularise Linux in India. If your messages are counterproductive
to that purpose, your privileges to submit messages can and will be revoked.