Hi,

I'd like to announce the first testing release of evmapd. Its homepage will for the foreseeable future reside at:

http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~thkala/projects/evmapd/evmapd.html

evmapd is a daemon for the remapping of input events on Linux. It uses the evdev interface to access an input device and then the uinput interface to create a virtual device to which the altered events are relayed.

It can be used to remap keys, buttons and axis, or to perform some more complex translations between different event types, such as remapping the POV switches of a joystick to sets of buttons (gamers using WINE will probably find this useful).

As a treat, it incorporates an auto-calibration algorithm for ABS axis events, which is relatively functional and may be useful for some joystick owners. People who used my kjscal kernel module (if any - speak up if you did :-) will find this functionality very familiar (probably because it's exactly the same algorithm).

Any comments, suggestions and bug reports are welcome. Patches and bugfixes even more so. I am especially interested in real life use examples of evmapd.

Cheers,

Theodoros Kalamatianos

PS: And, yes, kjscal is as of now an unsupported project. Deprecated. Terminated. Dead and buried. You get the idea...

PS2: Ummm, BTW evmapd does not do force-feedback. Can't really code that one without some FF hardware...