Ignore the above, looks like my xserver was reading off
/dev/input/mice - the kernel kbtab driver appears to allow the tablet
to emulate a mouse, but doesn't really work w/ pressure sensitivity,
while using the js_x driver from xorg allows one to use pressure
sensitivity, but has the aforementioned button problem. The two are
not compatible.

Further discussion here
http://www.obsidianrook.com/pile/svlug-hints_about_possible_problems_with_usb_modules_conflicting_with_each_other.html