On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, chris guirl wrote:

> I have a Logitech Driving Force Pro and I've been trying to figure out
> how to make it work better in Linux. I have recently learned some things
> about both wheels that would be nice to incorporate into the driver.
> Most of this information was gained through a contact at Logitech. I
> intend to investigate making some changes to the kernel to improve the
> support for these wheels. Two of the main features I'd like to
> incorporate are setting the wheel axis range to different values so the
> full 900 degree range of the wheel can be used, and providing separated
> axes for the gas and brake pedals. So, where to start? I'm not very
> familiar with kernel hacking but I'll begin doing some research on it
> soon. Can anyone on the list provide me with some guidance? I've tried
> to find some driver hacking documentation specific to my task but I
> haven't found much. Something along the lines of a joystick or USB
> driver hacking tutorial would help me a lot. I've also looked through a
> good bit of the Linux joystick and USB HID code in the input section and
> I am unsure where device specific code goes. I guess I have some more
> reading to do...

Hi Chris,

thanks for your mail, I have added Jean-Philippe to CC, who has sent me
some time ago debugging information for this wheel, but I unfortunately
didn't yet had time to look into that in more detail.

Regarding the HID code -- currently, all device-specific stuff for HID
devices is implemented as quirks in hid code -- please see
drivers/hid/hid-*quirks* and drivers/hid/usbhid/hid-quirks*. This is not a
solution that works well in long-term though, and Jiri Slaby (also added
to CC) is currently rewriting the HID core code, so that it will work as a
proper bus, so individual drivers could work nicely with that. Once this
is done, all the current quirks will be converted to HID-bus drivers.

Depends on how massive your changes are going to be, you could either
coordinate with Jiri so that no effort is wasted, or you can just send me
a patch with simple quirks addition, and it will get converted into hidbus
driver later.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina