Dag Brattli wrote:

> The new Dell inspiron laptops is using a new SMC chip called
> FDC37N972.

What does mean "new"? I got that laptop in June 2000. Is it included in
your definition of "new"?

> This chip is UART compatible for SIR speeds, but for some
> reason, it's not working properly. I suspect that the Bios
> initialization of the chip is not correct, so I've actually not
> managed to make an IrDA connection on my own inspiron 4000 laptop yet.

Do you think a newer BIOS version will help?

I already wondered, why findchip doesn't give any report. I call it and
it finishes without outputting any line, exit code is 0. I thought, it's
because of the SIR mode and didn't try the FIR mode.

So, in the moment there's no chance to make it work?

Will there be any positive changes in the near future?

Thanks for your reply and have a nice day.

Dieter Rohlfing