Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 03:34:47PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> >
> > KDB is putrid.  Can it debug double faults?  NO.  Can it debug complex
> > register and numeric evaluation statements like IF ((EAX == 1) &&
> > [ESP-4] == 0x3000)?  NO.  Can it debug nested task gate exceptions?
>
> remote gdb does that fine.
>
> I've never seen a nested task gate on Linux...

Of course not.  Linux does not have a kernel debugger, or it would use
them.  That's what they are used for -- debugging running tasks from a
kernel debugger that has it's own task gates.  If you have nested task
gates, then you can debug the kernel debugger with them.

> > NO.  Can it debug SMP locks races?  NO.  Can it debug priority inversion
> > problems in sleep locks?  NO.
>
> Given.  Priority inversion does not seem to be a big problem in Linux though
> (kernel threads usually run at the same priority, with the only higher
> priority being interrupts/bhs). Also the sleep locking seems to be generally
> simple enough that it is not a problem for user processes.

It will be when Linux finally implements real sleep locks in the kernel
instead of aliased semaphores.

> > Can the Kernel debugger in NetWare?  YES.  Can the Kernel Debugger in
> > NT?  YES.
>
> I guess they need it ;)

I need it.

Jeff