@vger.kernel.org

> 2. Each patch will conform to a standardized, but simple, text format,
>    which looks something like this (exact details to be determined):

Add optional entry 'list', to send the patch only to a relevant list
(for testing patch).

>    Linus wants the body of patches to be in text format and not
>    MIME-encoded or uuencoded.

kernel-paches should be capable to receive MIME and uuencoded mail.
The robot will convert to the canonical text format.

> 3. A robot will process all patches for correctness (mostly, does it
>    apply?)

and if it is a unified patch with the right base directory.

>    with the possibility of additional tests later such as
>    compilation tests, regression tests, etc.

> 4. If the robot likes the patch, it will create a unique identifier
>    (i.e. "KP7562") and prepend a log entry to the body of the patch:

>    Good patches are sent to the linux-kernel mailing list which is
>    also where additional discussion about these patches can take
>    place.  All patches (good and bad) will be logged and there will be
>    a web interface to access the patch database.
>
>    We had some amount of discussion about whether a separate mailing
>    list would be a good idea, but we ruled the idea out because
>    fragmenting the kernel-related discussion would have negative
>    effects on development.  If it becomes a problem, we can always
>    separate it later.

IMHO we can already slit the lists in:
linux-kernel : the normal developers list
linux-bug (or linux-kernel-bug): for the "Alan Cox" tree (2.2 now)

> 6. When and if Linus applies an entire patch, the patch-log will be
>    updated with a record of the changes.  If Linus applies a partial
>    patch, then he will remove (or edit) the patch-log section of the
>    patch.

7. Testing. The people can test the patch and send a report.
   Thus it should be added the some happy/unhappy field somewhere on
   web.

        giacomo