On 12 Sep 2000, at 18:08, Ed Tomlinson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made the comment because I remember back when the discussion was current
> on linux kernel.  I thought Jeff Merkey's, message was to the point.  Para-
> phrasing from memory, it was something to the effect that novell had
> tried many elevators.  All had problems with some loads.  The best they
> had found was the 'close the door' idea.  I do not remember if the door
> was based on requests or time.  Another point to remember is that the
> netware people came up with a what they considered a good solution.

I believe that the Netware elevator is based on outstanding requests.
This is a tunable parameter which may be increased for fast disk
subsystems.

I think that you could consider the number of requests to be loosely
related to time. That is, the time to service 50 requests should be
fairly predictable for a given disk/controller. I don't think you
need to time stamp every request to get good results.

------------------Mailed via Pegasus 3.12 & Mercury 1.44---------------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Fax (617)373-2942
Andrew Scott                               Tel (617)373-5278   _
Northeastern University--138 Meserve Hall                     / \   /
College of Arts & Sciences-Deans Office                      / \ \ /
Boston, Ma. 02115                                           /   \_/