Rik van Riel wrote:
> > The only thing it can be a problem for an alternate VM if there
> > would be user<->kernel API differences realted to the very
> > internal of the memory management so if possible I'd like if
> > that could be avoided.
>
> Sure, lets get rid of /proc/meminfo ;)
>
> But serious, if /proc/meminfo isn't there to give information
> about the internal memory use of the system, why do we have
> it? I don't see /proc/meminfo doing anything else than that...

Andrea is worried about userland utilities getting confused
because of differences in /proc/meminfo for various VM systems.
Maybe it would be enough to put the entries that are
VM-version specific after the generic ones, and preface them
with the name of the VM system, e.g.

        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  163885056 158605312  5279744 21979136 67809280 62427136
Swap: 542826496 16666624 526159872
MemTotal:    160044 kB
MemFree:       5156 kB
MemShared:    21464 kB
Buffers:      66220 kB
Cached:       60964 kB
SwapTotal:   530104 kB
SwapFree:    513828 kB
2.4.0-test1-ac22-class.hairyOldBlocks:  4000 kB

etc.

- Dan