Not that any of us who don't do embedded projects ought to care very
much, but I was curious.  I grepped test9pre6 for globals initialized
to 0 or NULL and came up with 2495 lines, first iteration.  At 4-byte
alignment this works out to something over 9k of .data that should be
.bss (not that anyone compiles very much of this in at a time).

A lot of recent Linus patches seem to have this conversion in them, so
it seems someone *does* care about image size.  (Presumably people
running the kernel in-place from flash, right?)  Would anyone be
interested in patches to uninitialize these variables?  I'd be willing
to proofread my grep output.

(A related question: __initdata *does* have to be initialized, right?)

Peter