Hi,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 03:07:44PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 09:46:35PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > I'm not too sure of what you have in mind, but if it is
> > >      "process creates vast virtual space to generate many page table
> > >       entries -- using mmap"
> > > the answer is, virtual address space quotas and mmap should kill
> > > the process on low mem for page tables.
> >
> > Those quotas being exactly what beancounter is
>
> But that is a function specific counter, not a counter in the
> alloc code.

Beancounter is a framework for user-level accounting.  _What_ you
account is up to the callers.  Maybe this has been a miscommunication,
but beancounter is all about allowing callers to account for stuff
before allocation, not about having the page allocation functions
themselves enforce quotas.

--Stephen