> which would make the other checks I suggested to ensure that neither start
> or end were more than (uint64_t)LLONG_MAX unnecessary.

My apologies I was wrong about what I said above - after thinking about it for
longer you still need to make sure that at least len is not greater than
(uint64_t)LLONG_MAX because in the calculation:

        if (start > (uint64_t)LLONG_MAX - len)
                return -EINVAL;

if len was more than (uint64_t)LLONG_MAX it would underflow and become a very
large positive number and start would never be greater than that (and I said
end when I should have said len).