On 03/03/2016 04:49 PM, Luck, Tony wrote:
  retry:
-       rc = erst_get_record_id_next(&pos, record_id);
-       if (rc)
-               goto out;
+       /*
+        * Some hardware is broken and doesn't actually advance the record id

I'd blame this on firmware rather than hardware.

Yup sorry misspoke.

+        * returned by ACPI_ERST_GET_RECORD_ID when we read a record like the
+        * spec says it is supposed to.  So instead use record_id == 0 to just
+        * grab the first record in the erst, and fall back only if we trip over
+        * a record that isn't a MCE record.
+        */
+       if (lookup_record) {
+               rc = erst_get_record_id_next(&pos, record_id);
+               if (rc)
+                       goto out;
+       } else {
+               *record_id = 0;
+       }
        /* no more record */
        if (*record_id == APEI_ERST_INVALID_RECORD_ID)
                goto out;
        rc = erst_read(*record_id, &rcd.hdr, sizeof(rcd));
-       /* someone else has cleared the record, try next one */
-       if (rc == -ENOENT)
-               goto retry;
-       else if (rc < 0)
+       /*
+        * someone else has cleared the record, try next one if we are looking
+        * up records.  If we aren't looking up the record id's then just bail
+        * since this means we have an empty table.
+        */
+       if (rc == -ENOENT) {
+               if (lookup_record)
+                       goto retry;
+               rc = 0;
+               goto out;
+       } else if (rc < 0) {
                goto out;
-       /* try to skip other type records in storage */
-       else if (rc != sizeof(rcd) ||
-                uuid_le_cmp(rcd.hdr.creator_id, CPER_CREATOR_MCE))
+       } else if (rc != sizeof(rcd) ||
+                uuid_le_cmp(rcd.hdr.creator_id, CPER_CREATOR_MCE)) {
+               /* try to skip other type records in storage */
+               lookup_record = true;
                goto retry;

Are you still doomed by the buggy firmware if we take this "goto"?
You be back at the top of the loop excpecting erst_get_record_id_next()
to move on.  Does this just not happen in practice (finding non MCE
records in amognst the MCE ones)?

So one of the boxes had a non MCE record with MCE records, but yeah it was on a box that was also broken in this way. I'm not super worried about this case for us, I just want to have a fallback for any firmware that may not be broken in this way to be able to skip things. Thanks,

Josef