On 2 Nov 2000, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> I'm seeing this as well, but only with PIII Xeon systems, not PII
> Xeon.  Every single timer interrupt on any CPU is accompanied by a NMI
> and LOC increment on every CPU.
>
>            CPU0       CPU1
>   0:     146727     153389    IO-APIC-edge  timer

 This is the legacy 8254 timer source, used for the system time, i.e.
gettimeofday() and friends.

> NMI:     300035     300035

 This is the NMI watchdog at work.  Every tick of the legacy timer all
CPUs receive an NMI unless overridden by the "nmi_watchdog" command line
argument.

> LOC:     300028     300028

 This is the internal local APIC timer used for scheduling.  Every CPU is
equipped with such a private timer.