On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 09:27:54AM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 01:44:43PM +0200, Jiri Olsa wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 02:15:31PM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > > From: Andi Kleen <a...@linux.intel.com>
> > >
> > > Add support for parsing the DividedBy header in the JSON event lists and
> > > storing them in the alias structure.
> >
> > I wish you'd add JSON tags always one by one as you did in here ;-)
> >
> > however Ithink we'll need more info here:
> >   - what's the value?
> >   - what's it going to be used for?
>
> That's all described in the next patch. But I can copy the description.
>
> >   - looks like formula stuff, why post processing via python/perl can't be
> > used in this case?
>
> It would be fairly complicated to interface that with event lists, and
> also still wouldn't work with standard perf stat.
>
> DividedBy already covers the majority of interesting cases and fits
> nicely with the existing frame work. If we wanted more complex
> formulas something with python would be probably needed, but I don't see
> the need yet.

so..

- you put 'DividedBy' into JSON event's defition any further
  explanation how or why the format we use for event defs will
  be used now used to describe ratios

- then you force perf stat to merge together all 'same' uncore events
  to get just one number..

- then you display that ratio (just the number) in perf stat metrics output
  without any explanation or description

I dont see that as a nicely fit, more like hack

please let's go first to discuss the DividedBy being included
in JSON defs, which is fragile topic to begin with

thanks,
jirka