"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcg...@kernel.org> writes:
>> Maybe a similar hack for try_then_request_module(), but many places seem
>> to open-code request_module() so it's not as trivial...

Hi Luis, Jessica (who is the main module maintainer now),

        Back from break, sorry about delay.

> Right, out of ~350 request_module() calls (not included try requests)
> only ~46 check the return value. Hence a validation check, and come to
> think of it, *this* was the issue that originally had me believing
> that in some places we might end up in a null deref --if those open
> coded request_module() calls assume the driver is loaded there could
> be many places where a NULL is inevitable.

Yes, assuming success == module loade is simply a bug.  I wrote
try_then_request_module() to attempt to encapsulate the correct logic
into a single place; maybe we need other helpers to cover (most of?) the
remaining cases?

> Granted, I agree they
> should be fixed, we could add a grammar rule to start nagging at
> driver developers for started, but it does beg the question also of
> what a tightly knit validation for modprobe might look like, and hence
> this patch and now the completed not-yet-posted alias work.

I really think aliases-in-kernel is too heavy a hammer, but a warning
when modprobe "succeeds" and the module still isn't found would be
a Good Thing.

> Would it be worthy as a kconfig kmod debugging aide for now? I can
> follow up with a semantic patch to nag about checking the return value
> of request_module(), and we can  have 0-day then also complain about
> new invalid uses.

Yeah, a warning about this would be win for sure.

BTW, I wrote the original "check-for-module-before-loading" in
module-init-tools, but I'm starting to wonder if it was a premature
optimization.  Have you thought about simply removing it and always
trying to load the module?  If it doesn't slow things down, perhaps
simplicity FTW?

Thanks,
Rusty.