Werner Almesberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Rik van Riel wrote:
> > Did you try to load an initrd on a low-memory machine?
> > It shouldn't work and it probably won't ;)
>
> You must be really low on memory ;-)
>
> # zcat initrd.gz | wc -c
>  409600
>
> (ash, pwd, chroot, pivot_root, smount, and still about 82 kB free.)

Hmm.... And that's without trying to be small.
I have one that loads a second kernel over the network using dhcp
to configure it's interface and tftp to fetch the image and boots
that is only 20kb uncompressed....

Compressed I can fit that and a kernel all in plus a minimal
BIOS all in 512K with some room to spare...

Eric