J . A . Magallon writes:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:25:01 Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > -static int basePort = 0;   /* base port address */
> > -static int regPort = 0;            /* port for register number */
> > -static int dataPort = 0;   /* port for register data */
> > +static int basePort;       /* base port address */
> > +static int regPort;        /* port for register number */
> > +static int dataPort;       /* port for register data */
>
> That is not too much confidence on the ANSI-ness of the compiler ???

Its got nothing to do with the ANSI-ness of the compiler, but more to do
with the C startup code - does the C startup code initialise BSS to zero
or does it not?

In this particular example, we have full control over it; in the kernel
has our own start up code which does initialise the BSS to zero.

In the dim and distant past (about 7-8 years ago), it was true that we
didn't init the BSS and everything had to be initialised, but this is
long gone.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/aboutme.html   /  /  |
  /   |               THE developer of ARM Linux              |+| /|\