Hello,

I am a relative newcomer to Linux and recently watching the kernel lists.
FWIW, I have a quad Pentium 100 HP netserver that will panic kernel 2.2.x
and 2.4.x (last checked with 2.4 test9) when bios APIC is turned on.  I
know this is not related to what your talking about, and that these are
probably rare systems, but I thought I would let you know.

Thanks,
Bruce H.

                    "H. Peter Anvin"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             To:     Alan Cox
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Sent by:                        cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED], "H.
Peter
                    linux-kernel-owner@vger.        Anvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ingo
Molnar
                    kernel.org                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

                                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                                    Subject:     Re: Linux
2.4.0test11-ac1
                    11/22/2000 01:02 PM

Alan Cox wrote:

> > >     if(vendor!=INTEL && !has_apic)
> > >             /* No SMP */
> >
> >  And suddenly certain i486 systems do not work anymore?  Well, I
haven't

> i486 is an intel processor

... but doesn't announce itself as such.

> >       if (boot_cpu_id != -1U
> >           && APIC_INTEGRATED(apic_version[boot_cpu_id]) && !has_apic)
> >               /* No SMP */
> >
> > It should filter broken MP-tables and work fine on all 82489DX-based
> > systems.  I'll have a patch soon if we agree on this solution.
>
> we could try that. It doesnt seem unreasonable

Seems reasonable enough.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> at work, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt