On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 04:26:09PM +0000, Eckhard Jokisch wrote:

> I tried the ide-tape driver for several weeks now. And after some time during
> writing or reading tar stops because of errors.
>
> Error messages are:
> Nov 30 15:32:20  kernel: ide-tape: ht0: I/O error, pc =  8, key =  0,
> asc =  0, ascq =  2 Nov 30 15:32:25 eckhard last message repeated 1000 times
> Nov 30 15:32:25  kernel: ide-tape: ht0: unrecovered read error on logical block
>number 461706, skipping

Block number 461706 is about the last block on the tape. So you probably hit
end of media. The end of tape processing in ide-tape.c doesn'y seem to
be quit robust yet.
I ran into such problems since februari or so and have been in contact with
the ide-tape developers and Onstream about it.
I recently volunteered to try improving the end of media handling (basicly by
implementing early warning EOM) but so far have not had much time to work on it...

-Marcel
--
     ======--------         Marcel J.E. Mol                MESA Consulting B.V.
    =======---------        ph. +31-(0)6-54724868          P.O. Box 112