On Tue 16-10-18 09:55:06, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> On 2018/10/15 22:35, Michal Hocko wrote:
> >> Nobody can prove that it never kills some machine. This is just one
> >> example result of
> >> one example stress tried in my environment. Since I am secure programming
> >> man from security
> >> subsystem, I really hate your "Can you trigger it?" resistance. Since this
> >> is OOM path
> >> where nobody tests, starting from being prepared for the worst case keeps
> >> things simple.
> >
> > There is simply no way to be generally safe this kind of situation. As
> > soon as your console is so slow that you cannot push the oom report
> > through there is only one single option left and that is to disable the
> > oom report altogether. And that might be a viable option.
>
> There is a way to be safe this kind of situation. The way is to make sure
> that printk()
> is called with enough interval. That is, count the interval between the end
> of previous
> printk() messages and the beginning of next printk() messages.

You are simply wrong. Because any interval is meaningless without
knowing the printk throughput.

[...]

> lines on evey page fault event. A kernel which consumes multiple milliseconds
> on each page
> fault event (due to printk() messages from the defunctional OOM killer) is
> stupid.

Not if it represent an unusual situation where there is no eligible
task available. Because this is an exceptional case where the cost of
the printk is simply not relevant.

[...]

I am sorry to skip large part of your message but this discussion, like
many others, doesn't lead anywhere. You simply refuse to understand
some of the core assumptions in this area.

> Anyway, I'm OK if we apply _BOTH_ your patch and my patch. Or I'm OK with
> simplified
> one shown below (because you don't like per memcg limit).

My patch is adding a rate-limit! I really fail to see why we need yet
another one on top of it. This is just ridiculous. I can see reasons to
tune that rate limit but adding 2 different mechanisms is just wrong.

If your NAK to unify the ratelimit for dump_header for all paths
still holds then I do not care too much to push it forward. But I find
thiis way of the review feedback counter productive.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs