On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 05:14:29PM +0800, kernel test robot wrote:
> FYI, we noticed a 21.9% improvement of stress-ng.eventfd.ops due to commit:

So, doesn't sound like a problem, but just looking into it out of
curiosity.....

I love that you do this, but these reports can be hard to figure out
sometimes.  The graphs especially could use better labeling.

> commit: fd7732e033e30b3a586923b57e338c859e17858a ("fs/locks: create a tree of
> dependent requests.")
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jlayton/linux.git locks-next
>
> in testcase: stress-ng
> on test machine: 88 threads Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20GHz with
> 64G memory
> with following parameters:
>
>       nr_threads: 100%
>       disk: 1HDD
>       testtime: 1s
>       class: filesystem
>       ucode: 0xb00002e
>       cpufreq_governor: performance

Looking at the man page for stress-ng, it doesn't say much about what it
actually does.  It does say not to use stress-ng as a benchmark.  I
can't tell if it does file locking--the man pages does document some
options which ask for locking (--flock, --locka, --lockf) but I don't
see any evidence in the yaml file or elsewhere that those options are in
use?

These graphs could really use units on the axes.  Also:

>                                  stress-ng.fcntl.ops
>

>   120000 +-+----------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>          O     O    O O O      O   O O O O  O O O O O O  O   O              |
>
>   110000 +-O O    O       O O    O                         O                |
>
>   100000 +-+                                                                |
>
>          |                                                                  |

>    90000 +-+                                                                |
>
>    80000 +-+                                                                |
>
>          |                                                                  |

>    70000 +-+                                                                |
>
>    60000 +-+                                                                |
>
>          |                                                                  |

>    50000 +-+                                                                |
>
>    40000 +-+                                                                |
>
>          |. .+.+..+.+.   .+.+..+.+. .+.+.+..+. .+.   .+.. .+.   .+.      .+.|
>
>    30000 +-+----------------------------------------------------------------+
>

>                              stress-ng.fcntl.ops_per_sec
>

>   120000 +-+----------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>          O     O    O O O      O   O O O O  O O O O O O  O   O              |
>
>   110000 +-O O    O       O O    O                         O                |
>
>   100000 +-+                                                                |
>
>          |                                                                  |

>    90000 +-+                                                                |
>
>    80000 +-+                                                                |
>
>          |                                                                  |

>    70000 +-+                                                                |
>
>    60000 +-+                                                                |

>    50000 +-+                                                                |
>
>    40000 +-+                                                                |

> [*] bisect-good sample
> [O] bisect-bad  sample

I see O's, not but any *'s.  And what are the +'s?

--b.