My impression is it was mostly a desire to reuse existing x86_64 system calls
as much as possible without modification or additional compat layer work.

The 64-bit time requirement seems to have come from an lkml discussion, which
has quite a bit of interesting background about x32:
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/8/26/415
    https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/8/26/453