Greeting all.

 Now that 2.2.18 is out with all the nfs (client and server) patches
 that we were waiting for for so long, it is time to look at on-going
 maintenance for knfsd.

 There are already a couple of issues that have come up and it is
 quite possible that more will arise as the user-base grows.
 Also, there are quite a few changes that have gone into 2.4 that
 could usefully go into 2.2.

 I have discussed the issue of maintenance with Dave Higgen - the
 maintainer of the knfsd patchset that finally went into 2.2.18, and
 he is happy to leave knfsd for a while and let me run with it.

 So, I have started putting some patches together and they can be
 found at
    http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/knfsd-2.2/

 They are mostly back ports of bits from 2.4 with a couple of real bug
 fixes, one thanks to Chip Salzenberg and one which allows Solaris
 clients to access /dev/null over NFSv3 properly.

 I hope to feed these patches to Alan for inclusion in 2.2.19-preX
 early in the new year after I (and you?) have done a bit of testing.

 Note: the patches aren't all quite as independant as they should be
 just at the moment (e.g. I made a patch, started on another and then
 found a bug in the first, so the fix for the first ended up in the
 second).  This will get sorted out next time I generate a patch set.

NeilBrown