On Thursday, December 21, 2000 20:54:09 -0500 Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Chris Mason wrote:
>
>> Obvious bug, block_write_full_page zeros out the bits past the end of
>> file every time.  This should not be needed for normal file writes.
>
> Unfortunately, it _is_ needed for pageout path. mmap() the last page
> of file. Dirty the data past the EOF (MMU will not catch that access).
> Let the pageout send the page to disk. You don't want to have the data
> past EOF end up on the backstore.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  I'd like to find a way to just do the memset in the one
case it is needed (a real writepage), and not do it when we are using writepage just
to flush dirty buffers.  I don't see how to do it though, without making a new flush
operation.  That would also solve my concerns about the change in writepage semantics
(even though every FS I could find in the kernel tree was using
block_write_full_page).

thanks,
Chris