Is the joy-gravis module non-working in 2.2.18 ?

setup:
es1370 on a K6-2 400 / ALi 15xx board, Gravis XTerminator gamepad

I'm loading the module with joystick=1 to enable the gameport, and it shows in dmesg, loading joystick module, then when I modprobe joy-gravis, I get this output:

lib/modules/.../misc/joy-gravis.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
/lib/modules/.../misc/joy-gravis.o: insmod /lib/modules/.../misc/joy-gravis.o failed

This also happens with the emu10k1 sound card.
Before when the boot-time gameport hack was used, the gamepad module loaded up fine.