On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:20 AM Bjorn Helgaas <helg...@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 10:12:53PM +0800, John Garry wrote:
> > Currently when accessing logical indirect PIO addresses in
> > logic_{in, out}{,s}, we first ensure that the region is registered.
>
> I think logic_pio is specifically concerned with I/O port space, so
> it's a little bit unfortunate that we named this "PIO".
>
> PIO is a general term for "Programmed I/O", which just means the CPU
> is involved in each transfer, as opposed to DMA.  The transfers can be
> to either MMIO or I/O port space.
>
> So this ends up being a little confusing because I think you mean
> "Port I/O", not "Programmed I/O".

I think the terms that John uses are more common: I would also
assume that "PIO" (regardless of whether you expand it as Port
or Programmed I/O) refers only to inb/outb and PCI/ISA/LPC
I/O space, and is distinct from "MMIO", which refers to the readl/writel
accessors and PCI memory space.

That is consistent with the usage across at least the x86, powerpc
and ia64 architectures when they refer to PIO.

        Arnd