> + *      NOTE:  That is no longer true with the addition of VLAN tags.  Not
> + *             sure which should go first, but I bet it won't make much
> + *             difference if we are running VLANs.  The good news is that

It makes a lot of difference tha the vlan goes 2nd. Most sane people wont
have vlans active on a high load interface.

>                       strcpy(dev->name, buf);
>                       return i;
>               }
>       }
> -     return -ENFILE; /* Over 100 of the things .. bail out! */
> +     return -ENFILE; /* Over 8192 of the things .. bail out! */

So fix the algorithm. You want the list sorted at this point, or to generate
a bitmap of free/used entries and scan the list then scan the map

Question: How do devices with hardware vlan support fit into your model ?

Alan