Hello,

> does /proc/sys/vm/swappiness still work as expected?
> # /proc/sys/vm# cat swappiness
> 0
  I think yes. 0 swappiness doesn't mean "no swapping at all". From the
code in shrink_active_list() it seems that it just decreases likeliness
of removing pages of mmaped files (i.e., also executables loaded in memory).

> but scp-ing 2GB file causes many processes are swapped out due to increase of
> the file cache size. Why? This is totally catastrophic behaviour on the
> desktop.
  Yes, that's quite unpleasant. How much memory do you have? If you have
some time, you can try playing with the code in mm/vmscan.c to find out
what's happening in your case (putting some debugging output in
shrink_active_list() etc...

> Is there a way to avoid it except turning off the swap?
  Currently, I'm not aware of any way...

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>