On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 04:31 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Linus really wants the extended (4Kb) PCI configuration space (using MCFG
> acpi table etc) to be opt-in, since there's many issues with it and most
> drivers don't even use/need it. The idea behind opt-in is that if you don't
> use it, you don't get to suffer the bugs...
>
> Booted on my 64 bit test machine; sadly it has a defunct BIOS that doesn't
> have a working MCFG.
>

> From: Arjan van de Ven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Make MMCONFIG space a driver opt-in
>
> There are many issues with using the extended PCI configuration space
> (CPU, Chipset and most of all BIOS bugs). This while the vast majority of
> drivers
> and devices don't even use/need to use the memory mapped access methods since
> they
> don't use the config space beyond the traditional 256 bytes.
>
> This patch makes accessing the extended config space a driver choice, via the
>
> pci_enable_ext_config(pdev)
>
> API function; drivers that want/need the extended configuration space should
> call this.
> (a separate patch will be posted to add this function call to the driver that
> uses this)

That doesn't look like the right approach to me.

The extended config space is generally used by PCI capabilities. So you
end up in a situation where part of the capabilities will be invisible
until somebody calls your new API, which might affect generic code in
some cases beyond simply what a driver is supposed to do.

I think best is to have your low level config ops switch between
indirect and MM depending on the requested register offset.

Ben.