Hey Steve,

On 13.06.24 17:55, Steven Rostedt wrote:
Reserve unspecified location of physical memory from kernel command line

Background:

In ChromeOS, we have 1 MB of pstore ramoops reserved so that we can extract
dmesg output and some other information when a crash happens in the field.
(This is only done when the user selects "Allow Google to collect data for
  improving the system"). But there are cases when there's a bug that
requires more data to be retrieved to figure out what is happening. We would
like to increase the pstore size, either temporarily, or maybe even
permanently. The pstore on these devices are at a fixed location in RAM (as
the RAM is not cleared on soft reboots nor crashes). The location is chosen
by the BIOS (coreboot) and passed to the kernel via ACPI tables on x86.
There's a driver that queries for this to initialize the pstore for
ChromeOS:

   See drivers/platform/chrome/chromeos_pstore.c

Problem:

The problem is that, even though there's a process to change the kernel on
these systems, and is done regularly to install updates, the firmware is
updated much less frequently. Choosing the place in RAM also takes special
care, and may be in a different address for different boards. Updating the
size via firmware is a large effort and not something that many are willing
to do for a temporary pstore size change.

(sorry for not commenting on earlier versions, I didn't see v1-v5 in my inbox)

Do you have a "real" pstore on these systems that you could store non-volatile variables in, such as persistent UEFI variables? If so, you could create an actually persistent mapping for your trace pstore even across kernel version updates as a general mechanism to create reserved memblocks at fixed offsets.

Requirement:

Need a way to reserve memory that will be at a consistent location for
every boot, if the kernel and system are the same. Does not need to work
if rebooting to a different kernel, or if the system can change the
memory layout between boots.

The reserved memory can not be an hard coded address, as the same kernel /
command line needs to run on several different machines. The picked memory
reservation just needs to be the same for a given machine, but may be

With KASLR is enabled, doesn't this approach break too often to be reliable enough for the data you want to extract?

Picking up the idea above, with a persistent variable we could even make KASLR avoid that reserved pstore region in its search for a viable KASLR offset.

Alex

Amazon Web Services Development Center Germany GmbH
Krausenstr. 38
10117 Berlin
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Christian Schlaeger, Jonathan Weiss
Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Charlottenburg unter HRB 257764 B
Sitz: Berlin
Ust-ID: DE 365 538 597