Ingo Molnar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * Bill Huey (hui) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I came to the original conclusion that it wasn't originally worth it,
>> but the dbench number published say otherwise. [...]
>
> dbench is a notoriously unreliable and meaningless workload. It's being
> frowned upon by the VM and the IO folks.

I agree...its a pretty weak benchmark.  BUT, it does pound on dcache_lock and
therefore was a good demonstration of the benefits of lower-contention
overhead.  Also note we also threw other tests in that PDF if you scroll to the
subsequent pages.

> If that's the only workload
> where spin-mutexes help, and if it's only a 3% improvement [of which it
> is unclear how much of that improvement was due to ticket spinlocks],
> then adaptive mutexes are probably not worth it.

Note that the "3%" figure being thrown around was from a single patch within
the series.  We are actually getting a net average gain of 443% in dbench.  And
note that the number goes *up* when you remove the ticketlocks.  The
ticketlocks are there to prevent latency spikes, not improve throughput.

Also take a look at the hackbench numbers which are particularly promising.
We get a net average gain of 493% faster for RT10 based hackbench runs.  The
kernel build was only a small gain, but it was all gain nonetheless.  We see
similar results for any other workloads we throw at this thing.  I will gladly
run any test requested to which I have the ability to run, and I would
encourage third party results as well.

> I'd not exclude them fundamentally though, it's really the numbers that
> matter. The code is certainly simple enough (albeit the .config and
> sysctl controls are quite ugly and unacceptable - adaptive mutexes
> should really be ... adaptive, with no magic constants in .configs or
> else).

We can clean this up, per your suggestions.

> But ... i'm somewhat sceptic, after having played with spin-a-bit
> mutexes before.

Its very subtle to get this concept to work.  The first few weeks, we were
getting 90% regressions ;)  Then we had a breakthrough and started to get this
thing humming along quite nicely.

Regards,
-Greg