On Feb. 23, 2008, 5:38 -0800, "Paolo Ciarrocchi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Paolo Ciarrocchi
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 2008 3:56 PM, Andy Whitcroft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  > On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 11:29:13PM +0100, Paolo Ciarrocchi wrote:
>>  > > Hi Andy,
>>  > > When I started using checkpatch I was confused by the following WARN
>> message:
>>  > >
>>  > >       no space between function name and open parenthesis
>>  > >
>>  > > I thought the problem was that a space was missing while the truth is
>> the opposite.
>>  > >
>>  > > How about the following patch?
>>  >
>>  > I can see how that language would be confusing.  Your patch makes the
>>  > english clearer, but somehow seems clumsy.  There must be a better way
>>  > to say this.  I will think on it and see what I can come up with.
>>
>>  Fair enought, I'm not English mother tongue and I'm sure you can come
>>  up with a better
>>  sentence :-)
>
> AFAICS the problem is still present.
>
> Ciao,

How about:
-                               WARN("no space between function name and open
parenthesis '('\n" . $herecurr);
+                               WARN("there should be no space between function
name and open parenthesis '('\n" . $herecurr);

The original phrasing can be interpreted like "there is no space between ..."
and the correct
interpretation should be "there should be no space between ..."

Benny