> What they want, and what every user wants, is I plug this board in, and
> the driver make sure everything is loaded and ready. No, the end users
> don't want to see any of the implementation details of how the bitfile
> is transported; the driver can handle it.

That doesn't necessarily make it a bus merely some kind of hotplug
enumeration of devices. That should all work properly both for devices
and busses with spi and i²c as the final bits needed for it got fixed
some time ago.

In an ideal world you don't want to be writing custom drivers for stuff.
If your cape routes an i²c serial device to the existing system i²c
busses then you want to just create an instance of any existing driver on
the existing i²c bus not create a whole new layer of goop.

It does need to do the plumbing and resource management for the plumbing
but thats not the same as being a bus.

Alan